I took some time off on Thursday and Friday to take advantage of a lack of rain. We had the front and back walls of the second floor go up and we framed one of the end walls once we had the rafters. The back wall height allows the siding to hang down to the point where it touches the top of the lower wall’s siding. So the total height of the wall on the back of the building is 16 feet.
We spent a lot of time making a rafter template and then marking and cutting the rafters. Pepper and I hauled each of the 20 foot boards into place. We tired ourselves out.
Saturday Pepper and I nailed the rafters in place with Simpson straps and I called John to help get plywood onto the roof. Pepper and I were able to get the sheets onto the second floor pretty easily but putting them on the roof was a little more of a battle. It’s just a little sketchy that high up!
Yesterday Pepper and I nailed down the remainder of the roof sheeting. I cut the edge off of overhanging plywood and then tacked down tar paper that had been given to me. Last night it rained and when I checked the building this morning it was quite dry inside. I had to leave one 32 inch piece of plywood off so I can get back onto the roof easily but will soon need to do away with that luxury.
Next will be framing the last wall, sheeting the walls, building the ramp connecting to the house, putting the metal roofing up and installing windows and doors. Finally insulation of the building.
- Posted in: Projects