A few of the crafty websites I frequent mentioned using silk ties to dye eggs. So for Easter this year we tried it out. We went to the Salvation Army and bought a few ties with interesting patterns. Not all of the ties we bought said they were silk which was unfortunate because some of the patterns were really cool and this really won’t work unless the tie is silk.
We cut the ties apart. One tie will cover at least three eggs if you carefully cut the tie apart. The most frustrating part was usually disengaging the label of the tie. Inside the ties is some white cloth. We cut that into sections to wrap around the outside of the silk-wrapped egg.
We used quite a few rubber bands to try and get good contact between the silk and the eggshell. This was delicate work because the eggs were not yet hard-boiled. We boiled them for 20 minutes.
The end results were pretty cool. Well, the ones that were actually silk came out pretty cool.
- Posted in: Projects